Dorado History Continued
 Miss Pond put the property up for sale in 1947, with an asking
price of $300,000 unfurnished. It was purchased for $200,000
furnished. After approximately $400,000 in renovations by
architect Bernard J. Friedman and the M. I. Poze Construction
Company the mansion was opened in 1949 as the El Dorado
Lodge. Included in many of the changes and additions were an
18 hole golf course and a small residential community. It
remained as such for twenty-three years.

Within a two year period the Country Club changed ownership
twice being first sold to Alan Elias in 1973 and then in 1975
Elias sold it to Jerome Shull Partnership. Some years later it
would be sold again to HSL Properties.
It would be during a four year period from 1975 to 1979 that a
more expansive community began to take form on the grounds
surrounding the golf course. In 1979 the last home was
completed by the builder Marved Construction under the
company name of U.S. Homes and they turned control of the
Master Association over to the neighborhoods. A year later
the Master Association established its first board of directors
made up of homeowners of Dorado Country Club Estates
In 1982 it became necessary for the Master Association to hire
a law firm to represent the Association in order to prevent a
proposed redevelopment of the golf course. A law suit was
filed and not until three years later was the suit settled in
favor of the Master Association. An extensive agreement was
worked out and a permanent injunction was imposed on the
Country Club owner, HSL Properties, to retain the golf course
as a golf course. Additional restrictions were also imposed
regarding zoning, height, size, and setbacks of the
development parcel.
Over the ensuing years Dorado Country Club Estates has
developed into a haven for those who seek attractive,
comfortable housing and convenience. Dorado has become
amazingly positioned within minutes to major shopping,
medical facilities, entertainment and easy access to public
transportation. Over five hundred and fifty homeowners call
Dorado Country Club Estates their home and many are active
in the vital governing of its twelve associations. What began
as a luxury retreat for a wealthy young woman from Detroit,
wanting to be isolated in the warm Tucson desert some
seventy-six years ago, has evolved into a thriving community
within a thriving community.  And that will be the continuing
legacy of Dorado Country Club Estates.
The El Dorado Lodge
In 1970 the nucleus of the Dorado Country Club Estates was
formed with the incorporation of the first of the present day
neighborhoods. It was known as Dorado Country Club Estates
Improvement Association Number One. Two years later
Marved Construction Company acquired the Country Club, all
remaining unimproved lots and the adjacent El Dorado Hotel
property. Twelve months later an amendment to the deed
restrictions (the CC&R’s) of that initial housing development
changed the character of that first neighborhood to that of a
Master Association.
Back To Home Page